Friday, August 29, 2014

Posting Your Photos Online | For Clients

I'm often contacted by clients who are asking permission to post the pictures from their session or wedding on Facebook or on their blog, etc., so I thought it might be a good idea to do a blog post about it and give some tips for sharing your pictures on social media.

First off, my clients are free to share their pictures online! I actually love it when I see them change their profile or cover photo to a photo that I took. It's a little thing but it makes me excited. :-) They're investing in getting professional photos so I'm happy that they are making use of them!


I don't set any rules for sharing, but there some tips for making them look the best they can. I don't require clients to credit me for the pictures, but I always appreciate it when they do. :-)

Below are my thoughts on posting on the two most popular photo sharing sites, Facebook and Instagram.

Facebook: Facebook is pretty straightforward, and they are always changing their photo processing so you never know if it is actually going to look good. I used to give two folders of pictures, one optimized for FB and one for print, but I found that was too confusing and FB would probably change things around and the optimized files wouldn't really be any better after all. So now, I have found it just works the best to give only one set of files for print and use online and it works out great. If you feel inclined to credit the pictures, you can link to my website and/or tag my business page.


Instagram: This one has the most tips associated with it. Of course, I prefer that you don't apply filters over the pictures, because - really, you invested a lot in your photography, and I hope you hired me because you love my style. So the pictures will look their best left as is. I'm not going to send the police after you if you decide to put a filter on it, but it just isn't an accurate representation of my work after it has effects applied to it.
And then, there's the crop factor. Everyone knows Instagram displays photos in squares and that's expected and sometimes works. But there are some images that really are a lot better if you see the whole thing. And thankfully, there's a way to do that! The best apps that I know of for posting the full image to Instagram are Squaready (for iPhone) or Instagram No Crop/InstaShot (for Android).
When crediting pictures, you can tag/mention @kathryngracephotography, and you can also use the hashtag #kathryngracephotography.

I hope that gives you a start in maximizing your photos online!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, Kathryn Grace!! I'm one of your silent followers. :-) I really like your photography and think you do a beautiful job with your camera!! Thanks for sharing your skills with us. I also like that you're doing these informational-like posts. Do you think you could do one sometime on your process for each photoshoot that you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Thanks for coming out of the woodwork! :-) I can certainly think about doing that - anything specific you'd like covered?

      Delete
    2. Let's see ... I would enjoy hearing how you relate with the clients when you're in the photo shoot! Do you have a conversation while you're taking pictures, or is it all instructing how to pose or both?

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if this is what Melody was asking, but I'd personally love to see how you edit your pictures! I've struggled so much with this & just love your style...so crisp & clear & it's something I'd like to incorporate into my photos (without imitating of course) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep that in mind for a future post!

      Delete
  3. Hi, thanks for sharing. Good post. Interesting software. I liked Squaready. I do not often edit the photo, so I prefer to use it http://ipiccy.com/feature/how-to-crop-pictures. This does not clutter up my device.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I try to respond to comments whenever possible.

How to comment:
Type your comment in the text box, then select an identity from the dropdown menu. If you don't have a Google account, choose "Name/URL" (leave the url field blank if you don't have a blog or website). Click Continue and then "Post Comment."

Anonymous comments without a name signed to them may be deleted. Any rude or inappropriate comments will be deleted at my discretion. Thanks!

 

Copyright © 2012 Kathryn Grace Photography . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com