Monday, February 9, 2015

Foyle's War Party | Personal

Whew! It's been quiet around here! My apologies for that. It's a combination of being off-season, so not having much work to post, and also getting violently ill, recovering, second shooting a wedding, and attending a literary ball. These things take time, folks. :-)

But! I have a just-for-fun post for you today. Last month I hosted a Foyle's War party. This has been something I have thought would be fun for a long time, and so I decided this fall that it would be my winter project and it was going to happen! And happen it did and it was loads of fun. :-) Those of you who aren't Foyle's War fans probably won't "get" most of the stuff in this post, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. ;-)

We decorated with WWII posters and handmade bunting (Lily and I spent about a day and a half making all the bunting - so much work but so worth it!). We served Foyle's War related food - coq au vin, lemon curd sandwiches, Uncle Aubrey's green gage wine, and ration cake (no frosting!). The main event of the evening was a murder mystery, in which everyone was a suspect and had to deduce who was the murderer. It made for a very lively dinner time discussion. :-) After dinner and after we'd wrapped up the mystery, we played some Foyle's War games and trivia, and then had a hilarious time posing for the photo booth.

It was a smashing evening and I'm so thankful for all the friends who came out and made it a success!


Without Lily, this party would not have happened! She cooked, cleaned, sewed, and generally made a slave of herself. She's the best.





Uncle Aubrey's green gage wine (aka sparkling juice with green food coloring), and scotch (aka tea). 




The onion was one of the prizes, and also turned into the most popular photo booth prop :-)


I loved my ration books!! These were the covers for the suspect guides for the mystery, and also held the Foyle's War trivia. 

Gabe (from The Period Tailor) made a Sam cap for the photo booth!


Some new favorite pictures of us. Soooo typical. :-P
Me, goofing off
Lily: Um, no...


More hilarious photo booth posing! (Grace and Laura were the maids in the mystery, hence the cleaning implements ;-)

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. One of the dads was the murderer (and he accused himself! ;-).

      Delete
  2. Oh, that looks like it was such fun! I've never seen Foyle's War. From what I see here I think I would like it quite a lot! (I <3 the 1940s.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! You love the 40's, and Poirot, and you've never seen Foyle's War? You must remedy this situation immediately!

      Delete
  3. That looks like so much fun!! Everyone is dressed so perfectly!! The 1940s are my favorite!!
    You and Lily did a lovely job decorating, sewing and cooking!! Those photo booth pictures are the best. :)
    I've never seen Foyle's war either! (or Poirot!) I'll definitely check them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of Foyle's war but I too love the '40's...and Poirot! :) So I suppose I will have to see it as well.
    I especially loved seeing all the lovely costumes and the decorations! And I recognized several people in the pictures! (Lily and her family, Laura and Gabe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you sound like the perfect candidate for becoming the next die-hard fan! :-) Oh, fun - it's a small world!

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks like such fun! I have never seen Foyle's war. I may have to look that one up!

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO cool! You guys did so much work and it looks amazing! I love Foyle's War- Sam is the best, haha. You all look stunning- I don't know how you made it so similar to the show! Love it : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! I'm really happy to hear another fan of the show thought the party resembled it well. :-)

      Delete
  7. I found your blog through Abbe Powers' blog.... anyways: I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I'm a huge fan of Foyle's War, and this is just the best ever. I have a question: so how did you plan out the murder mystery, if you don't mind sharing the details? I'd love to do something like this sometime. :) (and I'm sending this comment again, because I forgot to put my name on it the first time. :D) ~Hannah Lashbrook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We actually purchased a murder mystery game from Shot in the Dark Mysteries. We used The Mysterious Affair at Stirling Hall, specifically, and just tweaked some names and minor details to be more 1940's appropriate, and I reformatted everything to fit into the ration books instead of using the provided materials. :-)

      Delete

I love comments! I try to respond to comments whenever possible.

How to comment:
Type your comment in the text box, then select an identity from the dropdown menu. If you don't have a Google account, choose "Name/URL" (leave the url field blank if you don't have a blog or website). Click Continue and then "Post Comment."

Anonymous comments without a name signed to them may be deleted. Any rude or inappropriate comments will be deleted at my discretion. Thanks!

 

Copyright © 2012 Kathryn Grace Photography . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com