Tuesday, December 1, 2015

When in Rome | Personal

Well, this post is long overdue. :-) If you're following me on Instagram you'll know that in October we took a family vacation to Italy! I have been slow getting my pictures finished from the trip since I've had a lot of client work taking priority, but here is part 1 of the Italian adventure! We traveled to Rome, Venice, and Florence (which, if you're a native, are actually Roma, Venezia, and Firenze... I wonder who decided to modify the names of Italian locations...).

Similar to my trip to France, Rome was the start and end of our trip. It was an amazing city and mind-boggling to think how old everything is. While I did not love it as much as Paris, it was an incredible experience and holds a special place in my Roman-Holiday-loving heart. ;-) I could say more but I'll let the pictures do most of the talking...

We stayed in an apartment within a 5 minute walk of the Colosseum.

Jet-lagged but happy to be there! :-)

We decided since we were all SO tired that it would be a bit of a waste to actually pay to go in anywhere the first day, so we just explored and saw things from the outside.

Our first of many pizze lunches. :-)

They put arugula on everything. So yummy!





Ruins everywhere you look!




Tired and windswept but still smiling...




Love this fence!






This was my sister's first time out of the country - she was pretty excited. :-)






Castel Sant'Angelo - where Audrey Hepburn & Gregory Peck dance on the barge in Roman Holiday. :-D



Saint Peter's Basilica

Colosseum lit up for the night

It was my goal to spot as many Vespas as possible on this trip.
And that's our fun apartment door!


Day two: sight-seeing! First up we headed to Palatine Hill, which I think was my favorite of the three ruin sites (PH, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum).

I now have an olive tree obsession.











Great views of the city from the top!



My cute parents :-)






After exploring Palatine Hill, we decided a gelato stop was necessary before hitting the Colosseum. In our gelato search, we stumbled across this tiny Vespa museum and shop!





I kind of get excited about Vespas, if you couldn't tell...

Clearly couldn't pass this up.











A favorite photo from the trip. The most perfect little cafe with ivy and twinkle lights.
We didn't eat there, but it was just too darling.

Dessert that night!

Day three found us visiting the Roman Forum and then catching our train to Venice.
Can I just say how I adore windows in Europe?









An obliging tourist took our picture on the stairs (hence the graduated heights...)


The detail... so incredible.

You'll have to wait to see the middle of the trip, since this post is only Rome... so here we are the end of the trip in a charming top floor apartment...



... complete with darling rooftop terrace!



And an awesome vintage elevator that barely fit all four of us. :-)

You can see our terrace on the second building in the picture on the left.

Off to the Spanish Steps...

... which were unfortunately closed off for construction. :-(








The Mouth of Truth!
We both made it out with our fingers intact. ;-)



This was funny... it's a ruin site that is home to a ton of cats!




"Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live."
- Princess Ann, Roman Holiday

17 comments:

  1. So so lovely! Rome is amazing and you did a fantastic job capturing it.
    P.S. I just followed you on instagram as gritsinthepitt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lovely, lovely photos! You make me want to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. my. goodness. These pictures are so gorgeous! You are such a cute family!! :)
    Congratulations on what looks like an amazing trip, and thanks for sharing the pictures! I loved looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a memorable trip! Your photos are amazing. I'm sure your family is glad to have a professional photographer along on the trip. ;) I doubt I'll ever be in Rome, but I sure do enjoy hearing about other people's travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [this Monday just got more fabulous]

    I can't decide if I'm more obsessed with the photo of the little cafe with ivy and twinkle lights, or the black and white photo at the end. Captivating.

    Also... I absolutely love your windswept look. and your excited-about-Vespas look. And all your looks, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a splendid time you must have had! Such scenic places, and the cafes are too cute!

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photograpy!! Thanks for sharing your lovely adventures with us!! What a fun post this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brings back so many awesome memories of when our family visited there in the summer - you captured it so gorgeously!! (No pressure, but I'd love to see a post of your traveling-with-photog-gear tips. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeeeesh.... I SO want to visit Italy someday ;) and I'm so glad you had such a lovely trip!! (Btw, I think that b/w picture of your sister in the elevator could totally work for a book or musical album cover or something... :))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I try to respond to comments whenever possible.

How to comment:
Type your comment in the text box, then select an identity from the dropdown menu. If you don't have a Google account, choose "Name/URL" (leave the url field blank if you don't have a blog or website). Click Continue and then "Post Comment."

Anonymous comments without a name signed to them may be deleted. Any rude or inappropriate comments will be deleted at my discretion. Thanks!

 

Copyright © 2012 Kathryn Grace Photography . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com